C.S. Lewis often taught that the world in which live is a ‘shadowland’, because it is only a shadow of what is to come. When I consider this photograph it makes me think of Lewis’ notion.
- Could it be that with original sin, the whole creation was subjected to frustration, cast inside the reflection of reality, locked inside the cursed mirror; and this, not by its own choice, but by the will of the one who subjected it?
- Could it be that we currently live inside that reflection, within the Shadowlands of God’s creation?
- Could it be that all of creation is now groaning, as in the pain of childbirth, waiting in eager expectation for the sons of God to be revealed?
- Could it be that we who are now living by faith in Christ, live with the hope that one day the creation itself will be liberated from its bondage to decay, and brought into the glorious freedom of the children of God?
- Could it be that one day this Shadowland earth, will emerge fully out from under its dark curse, and we who are the beloved of Christ will emerge from the shadows also, arraigned with a new body, and knowing Our Savior, even as we are fully known?
- Could it be that now we see in a mirror dimly, but one day we will see face to face?
Joy Gresham, C.S. Lewis wife is quoted in the movie “Shadowlands” as saying, “See yourself in the mirror, you’re separate from yourself. See the world in the mirror, you’re separate from the world. I don’t want that separation anymore.”
- Could it be that one day that separation will disappear?
- Could it be that one day…Our Faith will become sight, Heaven and Earth will be forever joined, All things will be made new, And we, with Christ who is our life, will dwell with him forever?
- Could it be?
(I Cor. 13:12, Romans 8:19-22, Colossians 3:4).
How does this painting strike you? I’d like to hear your comments!